Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mushroom free of charge


It is the season of plenty of various colorful juicy fruit. So we took this offer of nature as the gift from God. It doesn't really require one to be rich to enjoy the feast of the taste, if one is honest enough to oneself instead of valueing vanity too much. It is a fascinating thing of spending the summer in a sunny but not too hot place like Munich. Besides, some words off track other than appetite, I guess there would be a lot of energy stored during the summer time from the 16 hours bright long day solar plant receiption, for the winter consumption.

Anyway, what I want to record now is that something surprized me yesterday.
On the way back home from the town center, we went to a vegetable and fruit store 2 minutes away from our place. That was short before their closing hour, therefore something were offered in incredibly cheap price, like the strawberries we took in our hands, 99 cents. While we were paying the strawberries, the shop-owner said something that I didn't get it in the first place.
What he said was, 'would you like to have the mushroom for free?'
Sure, I did see that there was a cardboard box, which contained mushrooms by the cashier, but who would have thought that they were meant to be given away for free? They looked absolutely firm and fresh enough to my standard. So it took a while for me to clear up my confusion. (Probably my facial expression even made the shop-owner embarrassed a bit for asking us of that. Who knows.) Certainly I accepted his offer, when I finally understood what was happening, and immediately pictured the dish which I could do with those mushrooms.

How come the capitalism looks like communism sometimes?

2 comments:

Spring Day said...

Hm, didn't communism often look like this: If you want mushroom, you first need a food card and then line-up in a long queue in front of a grocery store. And when you got to the sales counter after two hours, the mushrooms were already sold out?

ayu1234 said...

hehe, not as complicated as what you thought. getting the dried plants was not as difficult as getting meat products by then; and the fresh mushroom only appeared in the wet-market seasonally, which required no food card.:-)