Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Republic of Wine



I have finished the reading of Mo Yan's The Republic of Wine for several days already, and I always felt like to say something on it.
But what can I say?
I really don't want to say something offensive about Mo Yan, while he is one of not so many Chinese contemporary writers whom I like and respect.
Nevertheless, to be honest, with The Republic of Wine, I was about to drop it right in the very beginning.
It was not because of its style.
Mo Yan is never easy to read. That's true, and that is not the point. With the profound thought flowing in and underneath his works, one would require some courage and patience to bare the rather unpleasant scenarios or sayings, but that is not a problem to me too. Although the style of The Republic of Wine is quite different from his other works, and I do not really appreciate his attempt, however, I can even force myself to accept that. The problem is that the depiction of his character, the main protagonist, is not coherent in this work. How could a PhD candidate in the university speak in the fashion as if he is an uneducated person? Even if it is only a sarcastic hunch pinpointing to the lousy quality of the tertiary education, then the writer should have at least carried on the same design throughout the entire book. Unfortunately, Mo Yan sometimes made the writing ability of this same doctor too maturely good.
This is kind of flaw which should not be happened to an experienced writer. It made me couldn't help to assume that he probably didn't have enough time for checking his old work, which he wrote when he was not famous enough yet, before the publishers grabbed it away for the commercial profitability that his fame nowadays could bring.
That disgusts me.

2 comments:

Spring Day said...

It's interesting, that you label a blog post with "Life Enjoyment" even though the post itself ends with "That disgusts me"...
Let's see what you'll say when you finished the second book from this series.

ayu1234 said...

hehe, sure, reading is always in the category of life enjoyment. don't you think so? No matter how are the books. Once one's emotion has been aroused, then, there comes the value of reading.