Saturday, August 17, 2013

Beijing Beijing


When I first heard this song from the TV series Beijing Love Story, which is sang by Wang Feng, I thought that my heart was going to break. I have never been patient enough for listening to the complete version of the theme songs of any soap opera, but as a very unusual exceptional case, my spirit was kind of locked up by this song and never able to skip it from all episodes under the same title.

There is kind of sentiment, mixed with tragic heroism, determined love, torturing like tolerance, helpless courageousness, and so the like, involved in the music atmosphere of the song and expressed by the voice of the singer. It is unexplainably hurting.

The basic story line of this TV series, is focusing on the life of several freshly graduate youngsters, whose family background were rather different from one another, in the modern urban China, Beijing, where challenges and temptations with diversed faces and all range complexity, are situated to those who wants to start a self-supported life and survive there.

It reminded me of Japanese TV series, Tokyo Love Story, which was once well received and very popular among young people by then. But Beijing Love Story is a much better production to my personal point of view. If Tokyo Love Story could be counted as a light comedy, then, Beijing Love Story is more like a morality drama. Unlike its Japanese predecessor, which was led, soaked and tangled by young people's libido levels, Beijing Love Story has put questions on concepts like 'success', 'happiness' and certainly, 'love', into serious discussion. Of course, there is no simple answer and solution as the result of this kind of discussion. Although moral questions and philosophies come crossing our mind from time to time, our instinct reaction when facing solid problems in reality, is more likely calculating the balance form with profit and lost. Only the outsiders are able to give objective remarks on what is rational, what is right and what is wrong.

There is always a kind of salute, naturally rising from my heart, towards the striving and profound feeling, that one pays to a place, or say, to one's life. I think that I can understand this feeling, although I myself, is a sort of escaper. I once tried at the shore without any specific direction and goal, but I never get into the deep water. So, in the mind of those people, whose life experience is even simpler than what I have, it is possible that Beijing Love Story is going to be conceptualized and simplified.

......
By the way, I am fond of this song, doesn't mean that I like its writer and singer.

No comments: