Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Naivety


Yesterday evening, at the dinner table, the new book of Liao Yiwu, which was standing in front of us, led the family conversation focused on the topic, that of the most influential publishing house in Germany.
Following the free flow of the conversation, my husband recalled his experience, when he had his very first interview in one of those BIG publishing houses.
'I had been fooled there.' He said.
'They didn't ask me any question, while I was really too embarrassed to bring out any countable questions by myself.' he added.
Certainly, when he said 'fooling', he didn't really mean 'fooling', because he knew that it was actually some kind of psychological test, which the personnel field tend to practice nowadays, for revealing the reaction and initiality of their future co-workers. The problem by then, was only that the 18 years old boy was simply too young, too timid and too naive.

Today, after I had a phone conversation with my brother, from the current happenings which he told me, the word naivety jumped out into my head again.
Naivety is probably the most helpless thing among human intelligence, I think, which can cause embarrassing situation to oneself as well to others, disregarding the nature of intention. It could make people easily associate to inconsiderate character, while it has nothing to do with selfishness.
To a 18 years old boy, naivety is expected and therefore, acceptable. However, the naivety of a person, who has got more than half century to gather his/her human experience, is a totally different thing and therefore, not acceptable.
Nevertheless, what could we do, if we do not accept the unacceptable reality?
Helpless.

No comments: